The Provincial Historical Archive of Seville, is located in the historical center of the city of Seville and in the neighborhood of Santa Catalina, being a public institution of administrative and cultural nature.
Built between 1895 and 1908 according to the project of José Saez and José Gallegos, the building initially served as the Palace of Justice in Seville, and which in turn was built on what was an old corn exchange.
During the decade of 1970 the courts moved and the building happened to comprise of the municipal patrimony, remaining closed and in state of abandonment until in 1982, it is rehabilitated and conditioned for Historical Provincial Archive, the project of this reform was realized by Cross and Ortiz, the works ended in 1987.
After its restoration, its facade shows a neo-classical portico, its interior contains two courtyards with galleries and a central marble staircase. The building is shared by the Provincial Historical Archive of Seville and the General Archive of Andalusia (both by entrance C / Admiral Apocada). The Archive and the Municipal Hemeroteca, dependent on the Archive, Hemeroteca and Publications Service of the Seville City Council, have their entrance at the corner of C / Almirante Apodaca with C / Alhóndiga and are physically (and institutionally) separated from the dependencies of the Historical.
Creation and purpose=Edit
The Provincial Historical Archives are created by Decree of November 12, 1931, but it took 56 years for the Provincial Historical Archive of Seville to be created by order of the Ministry of Culture of July 2, 1987 (BOE July 20, 1987 ) with the purpose of gathering, conserving and disseminating the documentary funds of historical character of the State Administration generated in the province of Seville. Likewise, the documentation from the Peripheral Administration of the Junta de Andalucía that has lost its administrative validity will be part of the Archive.
The Archive was officially opened on September 1, 1991, and was opened to the public in November of that same year.
The role of the Public Archives is based on three principles included in the 1978 Constitution: The principle of effectiveness of Public Administrations (article 103.1), the right of access of persons to administrative records and archives (article, 105.b ) and the conservation of public documentary heritage (article 46). Its transposition is concretized in three facets:
-Management of documents and information, in organizations and public administrations, serving as support for the effectiveness of their management, since they maintain the necessary background to justify and justify their decisions
-Protectors of individual and collective rights, by keeping valid proofs to accredit rights.
-Saving of cultural memory, indispensable source for historical research, facilitating study and cultural dissemination.
Ownership and management Edit
The management of the Center, owned by the State, corresponds to the Autonomous Community of Andalusia, by virtue of Royal Decree 864/1984, of February 29. The agreements between the Ministry of Culture and the Autonomous Community of October 18, 1984 (BOE January 18, 1985) and May 23, 1994 (BOE of June 2, 1994) established the way to carry out said management .
Funds and collectionsEdit
In the Provincial Historical Archive the documentation generated is kept, at the provincial level, by the Central and Autonomous Administration, the Administration of Justice and the Centenary Notarial Protocols. There is also the possibility that the Local Administration and individuals deposit their documents in these files by agreement with the Ministry of Culture.
By Resolution of February 11, 2008, of the Viceconsejería, the Charter of Services of the Provincial Historical Archive of Seville was approved, published in the Boja of March 24, 2008 (No. 57). Service Letter Access to the Provincial Historical Archive of Seville is free and free for all citizens. The services offered are:
- Information services: any citizen can ask for advice and guidance to the personnel of the Archive, both for the location of documents and for the investigation of data.
- Remote consultation : in addition to face-to-face consultations, information can be requested to the center through email, fax, regular mail or telephone.
- Queries of documents: You can access the direct query of documents as established in the current legislation on access to information, with the restrictions and exceptions established in state and regional legislation.
- Loan of documents: This service is limited to the institutions that produce the documents, as well as to the institutions that request it legally.
- Reproduction of documents: The reprography services of the Archive allow copies to be obtained through photocopy and digital reproductions.
- Auxiliary library: the Archive has a library composed of more than 50000 titles of books and pamphlets, around 150 magazines, as well as a good number of bulletins, dictionaries and repertoires of legislation and jurisprudence. It specializes in Archivistics, Law, Public Administration, History of Institutions and Local History. The catalog of the fund is computerized, being able to be consulted in the usual schedule of attention to the public.
Cultural Dissemination Activities: all activities are arranged with the Provincial Historical Archive of Seville through email, telephone or through online application Online application , offers:
- Guided tours: The Provincial Historical Archive of Seville provides all those interested centers with guided tours of their facilities for on-site knowledge of this type of institution and its functions. This activity is focused on groups of 4 from ESO to Bachillerato. From the Archive it is tried to adapt the different explanations to the interests of the group, reason why they must be previously concerted.
- The Document of the Month: This activity has the purpose of exhibiting monthly in the cabinets of the Patio of the Archive a selection of documents from among the documentary collections conserved in this center. The documents will be chosen for their uniqueness, for their theme coinciding with some historic, social or cultural event that is being held in said month. Documents that stand out due to their peculiar graphic characteristics, plans, engravings, drawings, photographs, etc. will also be shown. This activity can be accessed through the Archive's website and is usually incorporated into the guided tour.
- DAY (International Archives Day): June 9, 2011. On June 9, the International Archives Day is celebrated, on the occasion of the creation in 1948 of the International Council of Archives by UNESCO. This date aims to promote the value of these institutions at the service of research, culture, memory, and transparency. For this day you can carry out specific activities arranged with the centers.
The Archive consists of three areas:
- Public Area: concierge, investigators' room, microfilm consultation room, didactic classroom
- Reserved Area: unloading dock, deposits, workshops, classification room and technical works
- Private Area: offices and offices of management, administration, document management and conservation and research
More information on the Spanish Wikipedia page .
The website, in Spanish, is .